About the College
Union Christian College , Aluva was established in 1921 as an ecumenical, Indian Christian initiative in the field of higher education in Kerala. The college was founded by Mr K.C. Chacko, Mr A.M. Varki, Mr C.P. Mathew and Mr V.M. Ittyerah, alumni of Madras Christian College, as an institution based on the values of integrity and social commitment, promoting learning and culture. A sprawling green campus spread over 40 acres, the college is located on the banks of river Periyar, about 12 kilometers away from the Cochin International Airport. Affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, the institution is known for its academic excellence and research potential. The college has 18 academic departments, with around 1900 students and 160 faculty members.
The college has been rated as an ‘A’ Grade institution by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in the fourth cycle with 3.45 points. Union Christian College is managed by an association of members drawn from the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, the Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church and the Church of South India, and the Inter Church Fellowship (ICF) of the college.
The college strives to produce intellectually competent, morally upright, and spiritually inspired citizens in the service of the nation. It is a unique center of higher education in Kerala with an ecumenical character and foundation. The college has always promoted international initiatives and cooperation.The list of eminent international teachers who have associated with the college in the past includes stalwarts like Canon W. E. S. Holland, Rev. L. W. Hooper, Malcom Muggeridge and Rev. B. G. Crowley. This ethos continues in the form of international collaborations and student exchange programmes with Universities outside India.
The college is honoured to inherit the proud heritage of accolades and endorsements from the various eminent leaders of the nation who visited the institution in the past.
Mahatma Gandhi visited the college on the 18th of March 1925 and recorded in the visitors’ diary his appreciation for the ideal conditions here.
“delighted with the ideal situation”
– Mahatma Gandhi
The sapling planted by him on the occasion, now a mango tree, is preserved in front of the administrative block as a testimony to the Mahatma’s ideals .
The college was honoured by the visit of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore in 1922, who acknowledged in his address to the community his joy at witnessing here the quintessential spirit of his Shantiniketan. In the same year the college was visited by Lord Irvin , the Viceroy of India then.
The other prominent personalities who visited the college during its fledgling years include Shri Ram Manohar Lohia(1950), Shri. K P Kesava Menon (1953) , Shri. Jayaprakash Narayanan(1954), Shri. Morarji Desai(1957),Dr. Stanley Jones(1958), Shri. C Rajagopalchari (1960), Shri V K Krishnamenon.The legacy has continued since then with other luminaries like Shri V V Giri, Shri. Shankar Dayal Sharma, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam honoring the college with their presence on various occasions. Union Christian College’s tryst with this heritage is kept alive in this generation too.
The college was conceived and established by the founder members as an institution with the following distinctive features:
- Interdenominational management.
- Participatory form of administration based on Christian fellowship.
- Service to the nation.
- Residential life
- Cosmopolitan and secular ethos.
- Christian and Humanistic values.
These still remain the chief features of the College. The college, which at first was entirely residential, has now on its rolls more day scholars than residents. The present management, faculty, administration and students strive to live up to these cardinal values envisaged by the founder members.